Thursday, June 14, 2012

Touched by an Angel: It's Time

on pop theology, philosophy, theology, culture, pop culture, christianity
Hey everybody, I'm posting a couple of posts from my friend Jonathan Harrison's blog.  Hopefully, he'll be writing some more here soon and bring some levity to all my fun posts about disillusionment and angst.

by Jonathan Harrison

Found this at my workplace the other day.  Sadly, I didn’t have time to peruse its contents since I was getting ready to close.  I’m sure I would have been inspired.  If you don’t remember Touched by an Angel, it was a TV show on CBS in the 1990s that broke many land-speed records for harmless stereotypes: the matronly black woman, the religious Irish lady, the dude who looked like a grown-up version of the Charmin baby.  Yes.  Those were the days, when all of life’s problems could be fixed in 50 minutes by a bunch random people pretending they were angels.  Everyone had a job, Randy Travis could act, if you had asked the average American who Al Qaeda was they’d respond "Probably my doctor" (stereotypes were popular back then).   Look at this book.  Doesn’t that make you want to get up and lose those 10lbs you’ve always  wanted to lose?  Finish that degree?  Call up that special someone that never liked you?  Yes.  I’m going to say it.  I’m just going to say it.

It’s time to bring back Touched by an Angel.

I think we’re ready.  The aughts really sucked, and times are still tough, so what we really need is Della Reese crooning about walking with you, Roma Downey just saying anything, really anything, in that Irish accent that made boys men, and that one dude that kind of looks like a blond Yanni, because there has to be a dude angel in their somewhere.  We need them back, and I need you to donate to my kickstarter campaign in which 100% of the funds you donate will go to resurrecting (see what I did there) Touched by an Angel, and will absolutely not go to funding my crippling banana derby gambling addiction.  You know what you need to do.

Jonathan's blog can be found at http://driedhumor.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment