Wednesday, August 8, 2012

God Is...

on pop theology, philosophy, theology, culture, pop culture, christianityby Ben Howard

Until I sat down at my computer to write tonight, I never realized how incredibly hard it is to say anything about God. 

I could always parrot back cliches about how God is love or God is good, and they would be true, after all cliches are cliches for a reason, but they wouldn't be honest, not totally.

I could talk about God's sovereignty and authority and dominion. I could use all those epic words that make the Old Testament feel like Game of Thrones, as if God is simply an omnipotent version of Ned Stark. That would be true too, but incomplete. Lacking.

I could talk about a million different metaphors and roles and stories and conceptions of God. I could use poetry and prose and song and even dance if I felt like it, but it just....wouldn't get there.

I keep coming back over and over to a simple yet profound statement: God is.

God is.
God was.
God will be.

Everything that is, everything that exists can be contained within that one sentence. Life, breath, love, grace, mercy, compassion, peace, joy, hope.

God is the very essence of existence. Not simply the foundation, but the thing itself.

God is.

And God is here.

And God is here with us.

Peace,
Ben

You can follow Ben on Twitter @BenHoward87.

No comments:

Post a Comment