Saturday, December 29, 2012

Top Ten Posts of the Year and Song of the Week

by Ben Howard

Happy almost New Year everybody! After taking the week off I'm feeling rested and rejuvenated. Tomorrow, we'll release Episode 3 of the On Pop Theology podcast and I'll be back to the regular posting schedule on Monday.

Since it's almost the end of the year and since everybody seems to be making lists, I thought I'd put together a list of my most popular posts since I started the blog in May.

#10. A Sermon on Hellbound by Adam Graham
Adam takes his wonderful sermon-style approach to the new documentary Hellbound.

#9. Sons of Thunder
This was the first real popular post I had on the site. It explores how Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant represent different styles of Christianity.

#8. Marriage and Chick-Fil-A
I wrote this in the immediate aftermath of Dan Cathy's comments regarding homosexual marriage, but before the Mike Huckabee-fueled backlash.

#7. Christian Books...and Zombies
Every novel seems to have had some weird zombie/monster adaptation, so with the help of James K.A. Smith's twitter feed I gave the same treatment to some Christian classics.

#6. An Evangelical Interpretation of Call Me Maybe by Jonathan Harrison
Jonathan went mildly insane and did his best to read Jesus into the earworm that was Call Me Maybe. He also called Carly Rae Jepsen a Norse God which is probably accurate.

#5. God Is...
My entry into the #progGod contest from Tony Jones and Patheos. This was harder to write than I imagined it would be.

#4. Ctrl by Derek Webb
My review of Derek Webb's challenging new album Ctrl.

#3. Theologians Are Like Rappers
The post where I questioned my sanity and paired a bunch of theologians with their rap counterparts. This post was half tongue-in-cheek and half mildly serious.

#2. Ten Terrible Lessons I Learned From Super Mario Brothers
The list of the ten horrible life lessons I learned from the beloved video game Super Mario Brothers.

#1. Christian Denomination Are Like...NFL Teams
Easily the most popular post of the year (about as many views as every other post on this list combined). I do my best satirical take on why Christian Denominations are like NFL teams.

Thank you all for being part of such a wonderful year and I look forward to writing and posting more in the year to come!

Your Song of the Week this week is "Transcendental Blues" by Steve Earle, who should probably write and perform all the music from here on out because he's so amazing. Seriously, get this whole album. Now. It'll make you better at life.


Peace,
Ben

You can follow On Pop Theology on Twitter @OnPopTheology or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/OnPopTheology.
 
You can download and subscribe to the On Pop Theology podcast in the iTunes store by searching, "On Pop Theology" or download the most recent episode here.
 
Also, you can subscribe via email or RSS feed on the top right hand corner of the page.

If you have any comments, questions or if you're interested in writing for On Pop Theology please email us at onpoptheology [at] gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment