Saturday, March 23, 2013

Anderson Cooper Awkwardly Holding a Fat Cat and the Best Things You'll Read All Week

Anderson Cooper, cat, fat cat, awkwardby Ben Howard

Reads of the Week

God-Shaped Hole by Addie Zierman
"We are, all of us, punched through with holes, living with a little bit more emptiness every year. And it’s possible to be filled with the Spirit and still feel the void." 

Russell Brand on Heroin, Abstinence, and Addiction by Russell Brand
"Without these fellowships I would take drugs. Because even now the condition persists. Drugs and alcohol are not my problem — reality is my problem. Drugs and alcohol are my solution."

On Rape, Cages, and the Steubenville Verdict by Mia McKenzie
"I, unlike many people reacting to today's verdict, am not just thrilled to death that two 16-year-old boys are going to jail. What they did was terrible. There is no excuse. They have to be two seriously fucked-up kids to have done what they did. But what I know for damn sure is that jail does not fix broken people. It only breaks them harder."

Today's Journey by Grace Biskie
"For this journey, you need camping gear. You need to stop and rest.  You need water because it's taxing and flashlights because it's dark.  You need correct expectations because no one climbs a strenuous mountain unprepared.  But most of all, you need to know that you won't see the top, the very top until you pass from this life to the next.  That mountain top experience of 100%  healing from abuse is not for us in this not-yet-fully-here Kingdom of God in which we currently reside."

When This Is About Piss and the Eucharist by Preston Yancey
"When I shook the man’s hand, I met his eyes. They were grey and blue, touched with a few speckles of brown. I blessed him with the peace of Jesus and he blessed me with the same. I could smell piss like a cloud around me when I took my hand away. I could taste it in my mouth, feel it burn my lungs. I felt nauseous for a moment but stole myself, settling back into the pew as the offering began."

Honorable Mention

God is Love by Sarah Moon

Find The Thing You're Most Passionate About, Then Do It On Nights And Weekends For The Rest Of Your Life by The Onion

Public Shaming is a Better Example of "If it feels good - do it" than Teen Pregnancy by Brene Brown

Line of the Week

"Chances Anderson Cooper uses rumors of his being on the 'Jeopardy' short-list as an excuse to grow a mustache? 100%." - Daniel Fienberg (@hitfixdaniel)

On Pop Theology Week in Review

On Predicting the Future by Ben Howard
The church, Back to the Future 2, and why there are always flying cars.
 
Mad Men and the Power of Sin by Lyndsey Graves
Human depravity, the destructive power of sin, and the cynically beautiful world of Mad Men.

On Macklemore, Webb, and Being Safe for the Whole Family by Ryan Hawk
A recovering recording artist explores two musicians, Derek Webb and Macklemore, who have reignited his inspiration for making music.

Slow Justice by Rebekah Mays
Nakul Bera, the determination for justice, and the need to make ourselves uncomfortable.

The Denominational Dominion Tournament of Championships by Ben Howard
We set the rosters for the Anglican Avengers, the Catholic Crushers, the Mainline Marauders, and the Evangelical Evolutionaries.

Song of the Week

"Go" by Avalanche City


Peace,
Ben

You can follow On Pop Theology on Twitter @OnPopTheology or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/OnPopTheology.

Contact us at onpoptheology [at] gmail.com.


You might also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment