Saturday, June 8, 2013

Aspirational Lemons and the Best Things You'll Read All Week

lemons, orange juice, lowered expectations, aspirations
"Perfect for orange juice"
by Ben Howard

Reads of the Week

1) The Patron Saint of Poop: How My Kids Fell in Love with the Saints by David R. Henson
"We talked about poets, and teachers, and priests, and prophets modern and ancient. We talked about the women and men who lived holy lives. We learned about Christianity together, not through repetition of doctrine or theology or Christology but through seeing it in practice by people like us, our brothers and sisters in faith from all over the world."

2) Where's the Sanctuary? by Jamie Wright
"Because, in that moment, I remembered so vividly being the girl with her face pressed against the glass, broken and hurting, crushed by the weight of a world I couldn't seem to navigate. It was desperation that sent me out in search of a place of Rest and Peace and Nourishment. I was hopeless and shameful. I was starving for Love. I was lost and wandering."

3) When Too Many Things are Happening by Jason Boyett
"There have been times when I relished this back-and-forth exchange of ideas. I got involved. I spouted my opinion. I took sides and linked up and stepped into the sound and fury. But more than ever, when it feels like too many things are happening, I find myself just wanting to step away, to do myself a favor."


4) Christian Memory or Why I Don't Want to be Like the Early Church by Krista Dalton
"The problem is that this portrayal is an idealized constructed memory, neglecting the every day experiences of the community, fraught with issues and complications just like any other social group. Veiled in the text are those needy persons who aren’t cared for,  internal group dynamics of division and disagreement, and those who identify as Christians not included in the master narrative. Thus, to say we want to return to 'the ways of the Early Church' is not return to a tangible community but to an idyllic memory."

5) Stop Telling Me What is Anti-Christian by Christian Piatt
"While I affirm the right of any Christian to boycott a product, show or the like, and even to explain why in the public square, I’m weary of the heavy-handed tendency of Christians to slap the “anti-Christian” label on anything they find objectionable."

Honorable Mention

Remembering Will Campbell by Andrew Cohen

The Authority of Apology by Nadia Bolz-Weber

Immodesty All Over the Map by Rachel Marie Stone

Line of the Week

"Hey, look, it's hard growing up in a statistically stable house with opportunity and economic security." - Sean Randall (@RandallSD)


On Pop Theology Week in Review

Confessions of a Hopeless Romantic: The Bachelorette and Online Dating by Ben Howard
"I don't just want love and a wife, I want a story, and a good one at that. I want one of those stories that you tell your kids for like eight years and becomes the basis for a hit sitcom on CBS."

Batman Should Have Died by Ben Howard
"It's not that I don't believe in happy endings, it's that I don't believe in endings at all. Real life does not fade to black after the ending, it does not have a lovely epilogue where Harry Potter takes his kids to school, nor does it pan back from a funeral to find the supposedly deceased watching from off in the distance. It just keeps going."

When Winter Comes by Jacob Campbell
"I don’t mean to claim I have the hedge on suffering, but I can truly say I have experienced my fair share. And what I have discovered is that chasing the “If God is good...” rabbit into a bottomless hole accomplishes nothing."


Song of the Week

"Not Ready To Make Nice" by Dixie Chicks


Peace,
Ben 

You can follow On Pop Theology on Twitter @OnPopTheology or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/OnPopTheology. 

Contact us at onpoptheology [at] gmail.com. 

You might also like:  

No comments:

Post a Comment