Saturday, June 29, 2013

The NBA Draft is Awesome and the Best Things You'll Read All Week

afro, Lucas Nogueira, David Stern, NBA Draft, basketball, awesome
by Ben Howard

Reads of the Week

1) Saying Grace: Paula Deen, Progressives, and Race by Maria Dixon
"Progressives Christians love to talk about grace except when they have to extend it to someone who has offended their political reality. The grace that we proclaim that washes us clean and entitled us to a new life is for everybody as long as they have not offended our politics."

2) Privilege Says... by Christena Cleveland
"Privilege says I’ll only listen to oppressed voices if they offer practical solutions to the problems that they describe."

3) Only The Lonely by Stephen Fry
"Loneliness is not much written about (my spell-check wanted me to say that loveliness is not much written about – how wrong that is) but humankind is a social species and maybe it’s something we should think about more than we do. I cannot think of many plays or documentaries or novels about lonely people. Aah, look at them all, Paul McCartney enjoined us in Eleanor Rigby… where do they all come from?"

4) The Worst Easter Ever by Zack Hunt
"The drive back was the loneliest two and a half hours of my life. My emotions were so raw I couldn’t even bring myself to turn on the radio. I didn’t want to hear anyone experiencing any sort of joy when I was hurting so much. So I sat in silence with nothing but my thoughts and the constant reminder of a wife wrenched in pain on a couch that was getting further and further away with every mile that I drove."

5) Growing Up in SGM by Hännah Ettinger
"I’ve watched my friends leave SGM for good and deal with obvious culture shock of attending churches where grace is preached. I’ve listened to them struggle to unlearn the name Sinner and try to grow comfortable with the taste of the word Saint."

Honorable Mention

Demon Posession and Why I Named My Depression "Francis" by Nadia Bolz-Weber

Eye on the Sparrow: What I've Learned From My Irrationally Personal Relationship with a Pair of Birds by Rachel Held Evans

I Am Not a Sex-Fueled Robot by Micah Murray

Tweets of the Week

"@RickSantorum Got swept up in SCOTUS ruling divorced my wife married a bisexual shetland pony now it's pregnant pls advise" - Michael Schur (@KenTremendous)
"How can a tingle shampoo NOT BE SINFUL!?!?!" - Lane Severson (@ljseverson)

"Well, I've lost faith in you too." - God (@TheTweetOfGod)

On Pop Theology Week in Review

Babel, or God Is a Saboteur by Amanda Taylor
"A few weeks ago in Brussels I watched a man get bludgeoned nearly to death in the middle of a busy market street."

On Breaking the Slump by Ben Howard
"Over the winter, my favorite baseball team, the Atlanta Braves, signed free agent center fielder B.J. Upton to a five year contract worth $75 million dollars."

Song of the Week

"I Am a God" by Kanye West
 



Peace,
Ben 

You can follow On Pop Theology on Twitter @OnPopTheology or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/OnPopTheology. 

Contact us at onpoptheology [at] gmail.com. 

You might also like:  

No comments:

Post a Comment