Saturday, July 6, 2013

A Grown Man Holding a Giraffe and the Best Things You'll Read All Week

giraffe, zoo, weight, zookeeper, weird
by Ben Howard

Reads of the Week

1) Learning How to Forgive God (When Jesus Wrecks Your Life) by Benjamin Corey

"I don’t want to be bitter. I don’t want to be resentful. Most of all, I don’t want my relationship with God to become strained. So, even though I wasn’t directly wronged, I forgive God for letting me down and I live in peace because of it. In fact, I feel more connected to God than ever before."

2) 7 Stages of White Identity by Daniel Hill

"My hope in sharing is not that my exact stages would be used to describe another’s journey, but that instead, each person would gain clarity of where they are at on this journey of understanding and embracing our racial-cultural identity, and identify what terrain is still to be discovered."

3) Jesus, Stripping, and Gospel Music by Grace Biskie

"He took me to an R.Kelly concert.  After intermission, R.Kelly came back on stage in Gospel Choir robes with a full out Gospel Choir performing Gospel music.  Fake, awful Gospel music.  We’d spent the first 45 minutes of his concert bumping and grinding, screaming along with thousands of other people at the Palace of Auburn Hills.  R. Kelly stripped down to tighty-whitey’s -I’m not even playin’ y’all- and now he had the freaking nerve to play Gospel?  I excused myself to go sit outside and think.  And, cry."

4) When Your Patron Saint is a 12-Year Old Girl Who Was Brutally Murdered by Danielle Vermeer

"So I continued reading about how her murderer was captured and sentenced to 30 years in jail. I took notes on how Maria forgave him on her deathbed, even going so far as to wish that he be saved so she could see him in heaven. I grimaced through the part on how he was unrepentant and uncommunicative for three years in jail, refusing to come to terms with the grave crime he committed until he had a dream in which Maria visited him. In the dream, she gave him some lilies which promptly burned to ashes in his hands."

5) The N-Word on the 4th of July by Brittney Cooper

"As we sat awaiting takeoff, I finished a text conversation and signaled to the flight attendant for a seat-belt extender, a fat passenger’s best friend. Then just as the call came to shut our phones off, I glanced over at her, and she was still texting, rapidly. I caught a few words of the end of her text that made me look more intently: 'on the plane, sitting thigh to thigh with a big fat nigger. Lucky me.'"

Honorable Mention

Here's Something about the Bible of the First Christians I Bet Many of You Didn't Know (You're Welcome) by Pete Enns

Yeezus People: How Kanye West is the Voice of the Millennial Generation by Martyn Jones

For When the Silence Comes by Elora Ramirez

Tweets of the Week

"Old MacDonald Had A Farm sounds like an episode of Cribs set to music. We get it. You’re rich." - Honest Toddler (@HonestToddler

"Saw Gatsby and I guess the message is mostly just don't have a swimming pool in your backyard so I think I'm good." - Emily Maynard (@emelina)

"I'mma pray the Jabez outta you. Hold still." - Aaron Smith (@CulturalSavage)

On Pop Theology Week in Review

On Pop Theology Podcast: Episode 29 - DOMA, Prop 8, and Exodus International

"On the day of the historic Supreme Court rulings which declared the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional and effectively invalidated California's Proposition 8, Jesse, Sebastian and Ben sit down in the studio to reflect on the meaning and importance of the day's events."

Bad Music Theology: "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke (feat. Pharrell and T.I.)

"Every so often I come across a pop song so catchy that I can't stop listening to it, but with lyrics so terrible that I hate myself every time I press play."

Song of the Week


"Glycerine" by Bush



Peace,
Ben

You can follow On Pop Theology on Twitter @OnPopTheology or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/OnPopTheology

Contact us at onpoptheology [at] gmail.com. 

You might also like:  

No comments:

Post a Comment