Saturday, August 17, 2013

A Life-Size Michael Jackson Statue and the Best Things You'll Read All Week

michael jackson, fulham, mohamed al fayed, statue, real, craven cottage, life-size, dumb, soccer
Located outside Fulham FC's Craven Cottage
by Ben Howard

Reads of the Week

1) You Don't Hate Me. You Hate My Brand by Rachel Held Evans

"But we are not our messages, no matter how much we believe in them. We are not our filtered photos, or our tweets, or our political and religious ideologies. We are not even the stories we tell, no matter how carefully and truthfully we tell them."


2) From South Africa to Indianapolis: Allan Boesak Teaches Forgiveness Through the Trials of Apartheid by Robert King

"Boesak is a theologian who has described himself as 'an accidental politician.' Much like King did 20 years before him, Boesak stood at the front of the protest marches, preached in churches, and was himself targeted for assassination. While some wanted a race war, he made the case for nonviolence."

3) How the Church Resegregated Schools in the South by Tyler Glodjo

"As I sought to understand how a public school could be 99% African American half a century after the Supreme Court shot Jim Crow and school segregation dead, I found that race, education, and church have a very convoluted history in my community that has many implications for evangelicals today and the unity of the body of Christ."

4) The Ministry of Funfetti by D.L. Mayfield

"As many of you know, my little family and I are in a Christian order among the poor. I like saying those words aloud, like the way they trip off my tongue. For I have spent my entire life, even as a little girl, pursuing martrydom. When I was small, I was obsessed with missionary biographies, Bible stories, and Joan of Arc was my patron saint. I created a hierarchy in my mind of who God loves best (those who do big and wild and scary things) and I wanted to be right at the top."

5) Seeing a Woman: A Conversation Between a Father and Son by Nate Pyle

"I’m not telling you to not look at women.  Just the opposite.  I’m telling you to see women.  Really see them.  Not just with your eyes, but with your heart.  Don’t look to see something that tickles your senses, but see a human being."

Honorable Mention

Everything I Learned about Reconciliation I Learned in the Church by Christena Cleveland

Why You Shouldn't Growl When People Cry "Jim Crow" about NC's New Voting Law by Morgan Guyton

Simple Love by Veronica Fetzer

Tweets of the Week

"My prediction for Breaking Bad: it's all been a prequel to Malcolm in the Middle. Walt enters witness protection and becomes Hal." - Matt Appling (@MattTCoNP

"The more I feel part of a community at church, the less I feel church is shitty. Love covers over a multitude of shittyness." - Jamie Wright (@JamieTVWM

"One time, when no one was looking, I acted exactly like myself." - Mark Duplass (@MarkDuplass)

On Pop Theology Week in Review

On Pop Theology Podcast: Episode 35 - Twitter Is Summer Camp For The Internet by Ben Howard

"This week Ben is joined by guest hosts Joanna Bradley and Emily Maynard to talk about the weird and wild world of Twitter."

The Fantasy League of Christian Twitter by Ben Howard

"'Tis the season for fantasy football drafts. Don't let anyone fool you, fantasy football is the most enjoyable thing about football season."

Preying in the Name of God by Sebastian Faust

"I’ve heard it in sermons; I’ve read it in books: 'Remember the widow’s mite. Be like the widow.'" 

An Ordinary Time by Lyndsey Graves

"In the Western liturgical calendar, there are two periods called “ordinary time.” They’re so named because the weeks are numbered “ordinally,” but the reason they’re only numbers is because there’s nothing else going on."

Joy Division and John of the Cross by John Wallace

"Whenever I hear Joy Division’s “Love Will Tear Us Apart,” I always think of St. John of the Cross."

Song of the Week

"Modern Jesus" by Portugal. The Man 



Peace,
Ben

You can follow On Pop Theology on Twitter @OnPopTheology or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/OnPopTheology

Contact us at onpoptheology [at] gmail.com. 

You might also like:  

No comments:

Post a Comment