Tuesday, May 20, 2014

In Celebration of a Milestone

by Ben Howard

The first post I wrote for this website is a mess. The writing is stilted and repetitive. The thesis is obvious and uninteresting, and even if it wasn’t, I don’t explain the premise enough for anyone who isn’t reading my mind to understand what’s going on. 

But I hit publish anyway, because that’s what you do, even if you’re naïve about what you’re sending out into the world. And then I hit publish the next day, and the next, and again a few days after that. And then a friend wrote a post for me, and then another, and another. And I’d like to think the writing got a little better, the ideas a little sharper, the jokes a little tighter, and the whole thing a good bit more intriguing.

Today is our 500th post at On Pop Theology and it also happens to be our 2nd birthday. In the two years since the site launched, we’ve published somewhere around 280,000 words (that’s about five books’ worth of writing), and recorded around 30 hours worth of podcasts. I’m really proud of the work we’ve done and excited about the trajectory we’re traveling, and really just kind of exhausted when I look back at it all.

I can’t say enough about the amazing friends I’ve met so far; the brilliant, thoughtful, hilarious, and creative people that have worked with us over the last two years. You inspire me.

I can’t say thank you enough to our readers and listeners. I hope you stick around and I hope we keep being worth your time.

Finally, I can confidently say this site would have stopped long ago if it wasn’t for the continued support and diligence of my friend and editor Sebastian Faust. Almost every word you read on this site has gone through his hands at least once, and he’s kept me from going insane at least a half-dozen times.

The core idea at the center of OPT has always been creativity and experimentation. We want to create a space where you can take an idea out and play with it, bounce it around, joke about it, poke holes in it, have fun with it. It has always been about ideas at play, embracing your weirdness, and in the process coming to a better understanding of who we are.

We have a lot of dreams for OPT in the future. Some of them will come to fruition, some won’t, and I have a hunch that we haven’t even dreamed our very best yet. We’re excited to keep experimenting, keep creating, keep joking, and we want to keep having fun. We hope you’re ready to dive into the theological deep end. ;)

Ben Howard is an accidental iconoclast and generally curious individual living in Nashville, Tennessee. He is also the editor-in-chief of On Pop Theology and an avid fan of waving at strangers for no reason. You can follow him on Twitter @BenHoward87.  

You can follow On Pop Theology on Twitter @OnPopTheology or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/OnPopTheology. If you'd like to support what we do here, you can donate via the button on the right of the screen.
  
You might also like:  

No comments:

Post a Comment