Monday, September 3, 2012

National Sabbath

on pop theology, philosophy, theology, culture, pop culture, christianityby Josh Kiel

Alas, Labor Day is upon us and as is befitting the occasion I have absolutely nothing planned. I've asked amongst my friends and, by and large, they have nothing planned either. 

No chores, no errands, nothing planned but a day of rest from life's troubles. Which is wonderful really since on the average weekend I try to have events and outings planned throughout, as well as whatever errands I may need to run. 

This third day off work is regarded by many as a "day of rest" (that's Wikipedia talking so you know it's legit). In essence it is our National Sabbath. The day we have set aside in recognition of the labor we perform the other 364.25 days of the year. 

I especially appreciate it since I so rarely observe anything closely resembling a Sabbath in my own life, which is a shame because I truly appreciate the concept. One out of every six weekends I am on call and can be contacted by work at a moments notice, and so many of the remaining weekends are negated by mundane activities that they can rarely be qualified as "restful".

I expect it is the case for many of us that we don't actually get a true day of rest except for a  few days a year. We stay so busy in our modern lives that days without plans, where moments of reflection are allowed, come around surprisingly rarely, at least that's the case for me. 


Indeed, if I start to over think the concept of Labor Day it could irritate me and lead me to a rant about how this seems like a way in which government may end up subverting religion by replacing the concept of a religious commandment with a proxy version in the form of a national holiday. That would only irritate me though so I'll spare myself (as well as you dear reader). 

Rather, I simply suggest that you make of this day a restful and peaceful experience and, if you are so inclined, reflect upon the day that you've been given and enjoy it. Perhaps you will find, like I suspect I may, that we could all use more dedicated days of rest and realize that we were commanded to observe one for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment