Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Election Chronicles: An Introduction

by Ben Howard

I've addressed politics here a few times, usually out of frustration. I've talked about Chick-Fil-A and fear, and I've also talked about the way hatred infiltrates us to the point where we become the very problem we seek to eliminate.

I know I often come across snarky and dismissive about politics. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that I place little if any trust in politicians to do the right thing, and that I'm deeply ambivalent about democracy in general as a functional form of government from a Christian perspective. If you want reasons for that, you can ask me in private, because that's not the reason for this post because today I'm putting on my optimism hat.

In an atmosphere that can only be described as suffocatingly divisive, I want to see if we can have a discussion with some degree of clarity. Today, I'm beginning a series entitled "The Election Chronicles." Starting on Monday, I'll be breaking down the reasons why you should vote for Mitt Romney, Barack Obama (Tuesday), a third party candidate (Wednesday), and finally, why you shouldn't vote at all (Thursday).

However, before I start writing these pieces I want to include you in my thought process. I want to know why you think I, or anyone, should choose one of those four options. 

One rule though: they have to be positive reasons why I should support a candidate/position. Just so you know, a positive answer does not contain the word oppose. I want to know what you are for, not what you are against.

Also, keep in mind that I want this discussion to be from a distinctly Christian perspective. If your reason for voting helps America, but hurts everyone else, that's not a good reason in this conversation. I want to know why supporting this candidate would make humanity better. How would supporting this candidate support the emergence of the kingdom of God?

I know there isn't a perfect answer. That's okay. We'll probably disagree. That's okay too. I promise I'll still love you.

Leave your thoughts in the comments, or you can contact me via Facebook, on Twitter @BenHoward87 or email me at benjamin.howard87 [at] gmail.com.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say and having this discussion with you.

Peace,
Ben

Also, you can subscribe to On Pop Theology via RSS feed or email on the top right corner of the main page.

No comments:

Post a Comment