Saturday, February 2, 2013

George Clooney Holding a Pug and the Best Things You'll Read All Week

by Ben Howard
 
Reads of the Week

1) I Am Damaged Goods by Sarah Bessey
"If true love waits, I heard, then I have been disqualified from true love."

2) Teenage Girl Blossoming Into Beautiful Object by The Onion
"According to Parker’s relatives, in the span of 14 months, the high school junior underwent a staggering metamorphosis from a young girl with thoughts, feelings, and aspirations into a truly stunning commodity."

3) Dan and Me: My Coming Out as a Friend of Dan Cathy and Chick-Fil-A by Shane L. Windmeyer
"Like most LGBT people, I was provoked by Dan's public opposition to marriage equality and his company's problematic giving history. I had the background and history on him, so I thought, and had my own preconceived notions about who he was. I knew this character. No way did he know me. That was my view. But it was flawed."

4) What It Will Really Take To Bring Down the Cult of Virginity by David Sessions
"I’m all for religious believers having a well-considered theological sexual ethic, and am happy to hear the crazy, often abusive virginity cult being questioned. But for all the talk about it and apparent desire to appear edgy, there sure isn’t much bold questioning going on."

5) The Quinoa Craze: The Occasional Problem with Buying Better Food by Jewel Evans
"But there’s a sad, little-known fact about this whole-food item: the people that grow the crop can’t afford to eat it anymore."

Honorable Mention

I Don't Believe in Grace by Lyndsey Graves

Why Some Churches Shouldn't Expect Volunteers by Amy Simpson

R.A. Dickey Helps Fight India Sex Trade via ESPN
  
Line of the Week

"Giroud then pulled a Gauloises out of his well-coiffed hair, donned a jet pack powered by his own ennui, and flew off to "bring a deeper knowledge of existence to those who suffer, through … eh, what is a word in your language that means 'not helping'? We have so many in my language."" - From About Last Night: Silence of the Nets

On Pop Theology Week in Review

Bad Music Theology: "Scream and Shout" by Will.I.Am (feat. Britney Spears)
An overly interpretive theological reading of the pop song that makes it out to be way deeper than you assumed.

On Perspective (or, Why It Matters That 200 Million People Won't Watch The Super Bowl)
Tomorrow I'll watch the Super Bowl with one-third of America and I have no idea what the other two-thirds will be doing.

The Fiction/Non-Fiction Divide, Part I: This Film is Based on a True-ish Story
It's a true story that never really happened. The Mythical Autobiography of Sebastian Faust.

The Fiction/Non-Fiction Divide, Part II: A Million Odd Cups of Tea and Consequences
If an author is discredited in a forest, does he still make a sound?

Song of the Week

"One Day" by Matisyahu



Peace,
Ben

You can follow On Pop Theology on Twitter @OnPopTheology or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/OnPopTheology. 
Contact us at onpoptheology [at] gmail.com.

3 comments:

  1. Some days, my favorite thing about the internet is stuff like George Clooney holding a pug.

    Thanks for including me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read the article "Dan and Me" and I felt pretty good. Then I read the comments.

    I should not have read the comments. I know better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, this is kind of an ironic place to remind you to not read the comments. But, DON'T READ THE COMMENTS!

      Delete