Saturday, May 25, 2013

The King of Southwest Ohio and the Best Things You'll Read All Week

Cincinnati Bearcats, baseball, videobomb, King of Southwest Ohio, funny
Find the rest here.
by Ben Howard

Reads of the Week

1) When We Are All Working With Seals and Polar Bears by Preston Yancey
"Without regional identity or regional context, the listening for a common language is harder to do, it is harder to find the shortcuts that are still echoes of orthodoxy, or harder still to navigate the careful line between what may be right and true for the church and right and true for the Church."

2) How (Not) to Speak about Oppression by Marika Rose
"There’s a reason why Marx didn’t worry about how the proletariat could get the bourgeoisie on side, why feminists need men like fish need bicycles, and why Malcolm X didn’t spend his time trying to win over white people. But we don’t get to be neutral in the fight for liberation: there is no Switzerland of the class struggle. So what happens when we find ourselves on the wrong side of the quest for justice?"

3) Broadway vs. Community Theater: Why Pastors and Presidents Are Not CEO's by Fred Clark
"The point is that the task for a community theater is the opposite of the task for Broadway. Broadway wants to find and to hire only the very best possible people for every role. Community theater wants to get the best possible contribution from every person in the community."

4) I Don't Want Kids by Emily Maynard
"I’m afraid that I’m not a real woman because I don’t want to have kids. I’m afraid that people will always see me as lesser and pity me. I hate when they tease that my biological clock hasn’t kicked in, and imply that I’m selfish, or that I just don’t understand the beauty of motherly sacrifice. I do! It’s beautiful for some people, but I want to be me, not a walking womb. I want to sacrifice in other ways. I want to take care of the people who are already in the world, not just make new ones!"

5) In Which Words Like "Real" and "True" Mean Things by Sarah Bessey
"We use these words like they are freeing or universal or helpful, but they are forging new chains for a new law.  There is no such thing as “real” woman or a “real” man. If you are a man, you are a real man. If you are a woman, you are a real woman."

Honorable Mention
The Sexiest Missionary Wins by Jamie Wright

Hope for the Military's Sexual Assault Problem by Lauren Rambo

We Need Thicker Skin by Zack Hunt
 
Line of the Week

"Fast and Furious 6 looks like if Axe Body Spray were a movie." - Sammy Rhodes (@prodigalsam)

On Pop Theology Week in Review

Abusing Each Other for a Good Cause by Deb Winiarski
"I didn't like how Karber treated the people on Skid Row, and I did wonder if he had explained his actions before shooting the video. But I also realized that it was not the first time I had experienced that sour, something's-not-right punch in the gut when watching an awareness ad."

On Oklahoma by Ian McLoud
"This is what families do. They hurt together. They cry together. They help together. They build together. Lord, hear our prayer."

I'm Probably Wrong by Ben Howard
"To be more precise I am probably wrong about 90% of things. Except cake. I'm not wrong about cake. Unless, of course, I am. In which case I'm wrong about 91% of things."

10 Lessons from My First Year of Blogging by Ben Howard
On Pop Theology turns 1 and I reflect on what I've learned in the last year.

How is God With Us? by Rebekah Mays
"I have many more friends with less extreme accounts who nonetheless swear by a voice, maybe audible, maybe not, that directs their paths."

Song of the Week

"On My Way" by SHEL (You need to check out this band, they're crazy good!)



Peace, Ben 

You can follow On Pop Theology on Twitter @OnPopTheology or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/OnPopTheology. 

Contact us at onpoptheology [at] gmail.com. 

You might also like:  

No comments:

Post a Comment