Saturday, June 22, 2013

Metta World Peace Wrote a Children's Book and the Best Things You'll Read All Week

metta world peace, bedtime stories, book, children, insane
Not a joke.
by Ben Howard

Reads of the Week

1) I Am Sorry by Alan Chambers
"Please know that I am deeply sorry. I am sorry for the pain and hurt many of you have experienced. I am sorry that some of you spent years working through the shame and guilt you felt when your attractions didn’t change. I am sorry we promoted sexual orientation change efforts and reparative theories about sexual orientation that stigmatized parents."

2) 'Let's Do Something Different': The End of the World's Leading 'Ex-Gay' Ministry by Jeff Chu
"A few hours later, on the first night of the organization's 38th annual conference, Chambers announced that Exodus would do just that: shut down and start something new. Shortly after he left the stage, he called me and we talked for 45 minutes about his journey to this place, making amends, and where he goes from here."

3) Why Justice Needs Reconciliation by Christena Cleveland
"A world in which justice fails to lead to reconciliation is a world in which the cross never led to the resurrection. Those who believe that Jesus’ resurrection inaugurated a new reality in which God is making all things new must prophetically embody that hope by reaching for reconciliation in their justice work."

4) How to Weather June by Emily Maynard
"My hands press into the towel and it leaves a little collection of indentations in my palms. I notice them as I reach my arms up to the sky and then hold them together in front of me, balancing on one leg. The weight of our pain marks us, but we are not overcome. I stand in tree pose and focus on the rocks. I breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth, and I pray for peace."

5) On the Theo-Political Vision of Macklemore; Or, Why Proximity & Intimacy ≠ Solidarity by Amaryah Armstrong
"What I will primarily argue here is that gay civil rights arguments that utilize the analogizing of sexuality with blackness and gay marriage arguments that use the analogy with interracial marriage, end up reifying the condition of blackness as constructed by white supremacy."

Honorable Mention
Death to Orthodoxy by Charity Erickson

Why I Can't Say Love the Sinner/Hate the Sin Anymore by Micah Murray

Overcoming the Sexualization of Our Children by Jason Morehead

Line of the Week

"Pat Riley should take off his shirt and read Shakespeare." - Metta World Peace (@MettaWorldPeace)

On Pop Theology Week in Review

A Place in Sedona by JaneAnn Kenney
"This is not a useful place - not good for farming, not convenient for industry - and yet it feels purposeful. This place is meant to recall God's majesty."

Kentucky Football and God by Jonathan Harrison
"Logically speaking, God can't be partial to one sports team over another. Unless it's the Green Bay Packers, but I digress."

The First Time I Was Right and It Didn't Matter by Ben Howard
"My memories are far more deferential and eloquent than real life."

Solstice by Lyndsey Graves
"Today is the solstice, and I am feeling rather pagan."

Song of the Week

"Winter Is For Kierkegaard" by Tyler Lyle



Peace,
Ben 

You can follow On Pop Theology on Twitter @OnPopTheology or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/OnPopTheology. 

Contact us at onpoptheology [at] gmail.com. 

You might also like:  

No comments:

Post a Comment